“If, by the virtue of charity or the circumstance of desperation, you ever chance to spend a little time around a Substance-recovery halfway facility like Enfield MA’s state-funded Ennet House, you will acquire many exotic new facts…
That certain persons simply will not like you no matter what you do.
That sleeping can be a form of emotional escape and can with sustained effort be abused. That purposeful sleep-deprivation can also be an abusable escape.
That you do not have to like a person in order to learn from him/her/it. That loneliness is not a function of solitude. That logical validity is not a guarantee of truth. That it takes effort to pay attention to any one stimulus for more than a few seconds. That boring activities become, perversely, much less boring if you concentrate intently on them. That if enough people in a silent room are drinking coffee it is possible to make out the sound of steam coming off the coffee. That sometimes human beings have to just sit in one place and, like, hurt. That you will become way less concerned with what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do. That there is such a thing as raw, unalloyed, agendaless kindness. That it is possible to fall asleep during an anxiety attack.
That concentrating intently on anything is very hard work.
That 99% of compulsive thinkers’ thinking is about themselves; that 99% of this self-directed thinking consists of imagining and then getting ready for things that are going to happen to them; and then, weirdly, that if they stop to think about it, that 100% of the things they spend 99% of their time and energy imagining and trying to prepare for all the contingencies and consequences of are never good. In short that 99% of the head’s thinking activity consists of trying to scare the everliving shit out of itself. That it is possible to make rather tasty poached eggs in a microwave oven. That some people’s moms never taught them to cover up or turn away when they sneeze. That the people to be the most frightened of are the people who are the most frightened. That it takes great personal courage to let yourself appear weak. That no single, individual moment is in and of itself unendurable.
That other people can often see things about you that you yourself cannot see, even if those people are stupid. That having a lot of money does not immunize people from suffering or fear. That trying to dance sober is a whole different kettle of fish.
That different people have radically different ideas of basic personal hygiene.
That, perversely, it is often more fun to want something than to have it.
That if you do something nice for somebody in secret, anonymously, without letting the person you did it for know it was you or anybody else know what it was you did or in any way or form trying to get credit for it, it’s almost its own form of intoxicating buzz.
That anonymous generosity, too, can be abused.
That it is permissible to want.
That everybody is identical in their unspoken belief that way deep down they are different from everyone else. That this isn’t necessarily perverse.
That there might not be angels, but there are people who might as well be angels.”
- David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
- chordchanges likes this
- eneverify likes this
- tonyxl reblogged this from damikewazowskis
- onaganiram reblogged this from sometimesagreatnotion
- tonyxl likes this
- damikewazowskis likes this
- spacemetal-cloudmountain likes this
- ajaniuk reblogged this from sometimesagreatnotion
- discosolitaire likes this
- aburningforge likes this
- skeined likes this
- isthatyou reblogged this from amnesiac1331
- isthatyou likes this
- titssorgtfo reblogged this from amnesiac1331
- inkreaddipbull likes this
- amnesiac1331 reblogged this from song-for-clay and added:
- amnesiac1331 likes this
- song-for-clay reblogged this from dustbowldance
- song-for-clay likes this
- vertbois likes this
- shannonpareil reblogged this from sometimesagreatnotion
- lessadventurous likes this
- wedancetoallthewrongsongs likes this
- thegunningfogindex likes this
- colorsofthewind likes this
- youllbeswell likes this
- theellingsonexperience likes this
- flatteryoconnor likes this
- battledinosaur likes this
- betterthanoxygen likes this
- jnenifre likes this
- lizisbored likes this
- dustbowldance reblogged this from sometimesagreatnotion
- dustbowldance likes this
- eudaimonist likes this
- sarahdaly42 reblogged this from slaughterhousefive
- sarahdaly42 likes this
- slantingacross likes this
- slaughterhousefive reblogged this from charlesdingus
- stuckindeconstruction likes this
- radicaleidoscope likes this
- craigstu likes this
- worksofgenius likes this
- emmanuelsaucepan likes this
- sparklenight reblogged this from sometimesagreatnotion
- ampersandean likes this
- electrichoney likes this
- aspenanomie likes this
- booklungs reblogged this from sometimesagreatnotion
- murmurandshout likes this